coolterm linux and rfcomm ports

If you have specific questions or problems with any of my Freeware applications, post them here.
7wonders

coolterm linux and rfcomm ports

Post by 7wonders »

I have been using coolterm in windows for some months now and its easily the best serial terminal tool I have used. I just switched to linux and was glad to see you had a linux version however, sadly it doesnt seem to support rfcomm ports which are the equivalent of windows virtual COM ports in my case. Is there any chance of including them in a new release or does anyone know an easy way to route a linux rfcomm port to a ttyS port?
roger
Site Admin

Re: coolterm linux and rfcomm ports

Post by roger »

The serial port API that CoolTerm uses on Linux has difficulties finding all of the available serial ports on the system. However, you can manually add such ports by creating a "ports.ini" text file in the directory where the CoolTerm executable resides. Add any devices (paths) you want CoolTerm to have access to to this file, one per line. E.g. /dev/rfcomm0, etc. When CoolTerm starts it will make these devices available in the drop-drown menu in the Connection Settings. When you open the port, CoolTerm will attempt to get an handle to the device. If it is unable to successfully do so, it will show an error message.

Give it a shot and let me know if it works.

Roger
mmuellerbsm

Post by mmuellerbsm »

The "ports.ini" text file works great at my Linux Mint Maya System. Now I can use my USB to serial converter.
roger
Site Admin

Post by roger »

That's great! Thanks for your feedback.