CoolTerm for Mac

If you have specific questions or problems with any of my Freeware applications, post them here.
emjay

CoolTerm for Mac

Post by emjay »

Whenever I use coolterm for Mac to connect to a Cisco Catalyst switch, I don't get the full output for a "show run" command or other commands with lengthy output. It shows the "--More-- .... ....." line and goes directly to the switch# prompt instead of allowing me to hit spacebar or enter to show more of the output.

Same thing happens with version CoolTerm 1.3.1 and 1.4.1

Example

Switch_3550#sho run
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 2608 bytes
!
version 12.2
no service pad
service timestamps debug uptime
service timestamps log uptime
no service password-encryption
!
hostname Switch_3550
!
enable secret 5 $1$S7Tg$Y26khqsn9ZZTf0C.MVNmZ/
!
no aaa new-model
ip subnet-zero
!
vtp mode transparent
!
!
!
no file verify auto
spanning-tree mode pvst
spanning-tree extend system-id
--More-- ......... .........
Switch_3550# [/i]
roger
Site Admin

Re: CoolTerm for Mac

Post by roger »

I'm not familiar with Cisco gear, but what CoolTerm is showing is the exact data that your Cisco Switch is sending back. Similarly, any key you type is sent directly to your Switch (at least in "Raw Mode". I "Line Mode" you will have to hit the Enter key after pressing space to send the data). After you get the switch# prompt, does your switch react when you send a space bar character? Perhaps there is a setting on the switch that can be adjusted to make this work?
Again, I have not used any Cisco networking gear myself, but I have had reports that others have used CoolTerm with Cisco equipment successfully. Hopefully one of these users has a helpful hint.

Regards,

Roger
roger
Site Admin

Post by roger »

One thing you could try is to use a different serial terminal application to see if the behavior is different (or the same). This post lists a few alternatives to CoolTerm for the Mac you might want to try out:

http://www.gns3.net/switching-how-to-co ... r-devices/
Azson717

Post by Azson717 »

Hello I too have been working with CoolTerm and I like it very much, but I also was having issues with the --more-- and how it would not allow you to hit the space bar to continue,it would only go to the next prompt # line. I have been checking out the options and I found the trick to fix this. Open the options box and go to terminal section, go to the "Enter Key Emulation" then use the check box for CR will work. You should be able to use the space bar after that and if you go to the ASCII view options. Uncheck the "Convert Non-printable Characters" box, and check the "Handle Backspace Character" box, the --more- will be smooth and you can us the backspace/delete key to remove characters if needed. Good luck.