Higher Baud Rates in CoolTerm

If you have specific questions or problems with any of my Freeware applications, post them here.
lauer

Re: Higher Baud Rates in CoolTerm

Post by lauer »

Hi Roger,

Yes, I was doing exactly as you said. I even changed to just one parameter (460800), but the baud rate is still not appearing.

Heres the screenshot:
roger
Site Admin

Post by roger »

lauer wrote:Hi Roger,

Yes, I was doing exactly as you said. I even changed to just one parameter (460800), but the baud rate is still not appearing.

Heres the screenshot:
Hmm, this should work. Can you send me your baudrates.ini file (you can find my e-mail in the "About" window in CoolTerm)? I'll take a look.
gbeloev

Post by gbeloev »

Recent Mac OS versions have a feature called gatekeeper path randomization / app translocation. Essentially apps cannot see the files in their local folder, which in case of CoolTerm includes baudrates.ini. To get around it, move CoolTerm outside of its folder (say to you Desktop) and then back to its intended location.

I hope this helps!
ntewinkel

Post by ntewinkel »

Hi All,

I just thought I'd add a 2018 update for macOS High Sierra:

I found that the only way to add the additional baudrates was to have baudrates.ini in the CoolTerm folder in the user "Application Support" folder: /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/CoolTerm (aka ~/Library/Application Support/CoolTerm).
And I had to add the CoolTerm folder myself.

For some reason it didn't work when that ini file was placed in any of the other locations mentioned in this thread and in the readme file.

Within the .ini file I added the additional baud rates I wanted, one per line:

Code: Select all

ps, thanks for creating CoolTerm! It's just the right amount of everything for what I need :)

Cheers,
-Nico
roger
Site Admin

Post by roger »

Hi Nico,

if CoolTerm is actually executed from within the path where the app resides, it should be able to find a baudrates.ini that is located in the same folder as the app. However, since macOS Sierra, the OS performs "App Translocation" for apps downloaded from the internet where it moves the app to a quaranteened location before executing it. You should be able to disable tanslocation by dragging the CoolTerm executable to a different location (such as e.g. the desktop) and then back to the previous location. After that, it should be executed from that location and no longer be translocated.

Roger