Higher Baud Rates in CoolTerm

If you have specific questions or problems with any of my Freeware applications, post them here.
pboe

Higher Baud Rates in CoolTerm

Post by pboe »

Hi,
i have an USB-Serial adapter capable up to 921600 baud, but the highest baud rate CoolTerms offers is 230400 baud.
Is there any chance to use these higher baud rates with CoolTerm and by th way is there a way to use non standard baud rates?

regards, Paul
roger
Site Admin

Re: Higher Baud Rates in CoolTerm

Post by roger »

You can add non-standard baud rates to CoolTerm by placing a baudrates.ini file in to the folder in which the CoolTerm executable resides. Add the baud rates you want to add to this ini file, one baud rate per line. e.g. like this:

Code: Select all

You will need to restart CoolTerm for this to take effect. The new baud rates will appear in the drop-down menu in the Connection Settings window.
When opening the serial port, CoolTerm will attempt to set the port to the selected baud rate. If it is successful, the port will simply open, if not, it will show an error message. More information is available in the built-in help.

I have successfully tested 921600 baud with Keyspan adapters as well as my FTDI and Prolific based adapters on both Mac and Windows.
Please note that only the baud rates that CoolTerm lists as default are guaranteed to be supported. Others should be thoroughly tested.

Attached here is a sample baudrates.ini file:
baudrates.ini.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimKueneman

Post by JimKueneman »

Roger,

Is is possible in a future release to allow this file to resides somewhere different? On my Mac it has to be in the folder with the applications and that means it is shown in the list of apps in the popup list from the Applications icon on the Dock. It takes up the space that a real app could have in.

Thanks,
Jim
roger
Site Admin

Post by roger »

Thanks. I will give it some thought. Meanwhile I would recommend placing the CoolTerm directory in the Applications directory as opposed to the individual files. This way you will only have one item show up in the pop list. You can then also store connection settings in the same folder and pick one of those to start CoolTerm.
jdaniellhebert

Post by jdaniellhebert »

Roger thanks for making this resource available to us all for free. We appreciate it.

Just tried to set baud rates. A couple of notes: 1) This seems to work on mac and not PC versions of the application. 2) In the readme there is reference to baudrate.ini and baudrates.ini. baudrates.ini works on mac. i did not test baudrate.ini on mac, while did test both names on pc and both did not work.
roger
Site Admin

Post by roger »

Hi,

Adding additional baudrates works for Mac as well as for Windows builds. Here is what to look out for:
  • The file name needs to be "baudrates.ini".
  • The file needs to be placed alongside the CoolTerm.exe file.
  • Additional baudrates need to be added to baudrates.ini one per line.
  • You will need to restart CoolTerm each time you make a change to the baudrates.ini file as this files is only loaded once when the application starts.
Refer to the screenshot below for an example:
baudrates.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Hi Roger, I can't see the baudrates.ini file on my computer. I see CoolTerm.exe and the ReadMe.txt but no .ini file. I'm on Windows 10. I wonder why I can't see the file. Do you think it may be hidden?
Last edited by Gaz on Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:17 am, edited 10 times in total.
roger
Site Admin

Post by roger »

You have to create the baudrates.ini yourself, using the text editor of your choice.
lauer

Post by lauer »

Hi,

I tried adding baudrates.ini with 2 columns: 100 and 460800 on MacOS. Restarted the application but the new baudrates didn't appear. I added the config file in the 'CoolTermMac' folder, which also contains CoolTerm, AppleScript and ReadMe.txt

Am I doing something wrongly? Thanks in advance for the help!
roger
Site Admin

Post by roger »

Hi,

the baudrates,ini text file needs the different baud rates on different rows (or lines), not columns. One number per line, with the lines separated by either CR, LF, or CR+LF.

I hope this helps.