CoolTerm 1.4.1 mac & 2port expresscard

If you have specific questions or problems with any of my Freeware applications, post them here.
RayJr

CoolTerm 1.4.1 mac & 2port expresscard

Post by RayJr »

Hi Roger.
I have a 2 port expresscard I use in my MBP. Each port works fine with CoolTerm, but when I try to use both, I get an "access denied" error when i try to open a second port.
Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

I still really like using CoolTerm.

RayJr.
roger
Site Admin

Re: CoolTerm 1.4.1 mac & 2port expresscard

Post by roger »

Hi Ray,

I don't think I'm familiar with your hardware. Can you post some details on this 2-port card?

I have experience with Keyspan adapters that have 2 ports. They show up as two separate ports in the connection settings, and it is important that they are opened separately and that you don't attempt to open the same one twice.
RayJr

Post by RayJr »

Hi roger

The machine I am using it on is a 2008 MacBook Pro.
The ExpressCard is from StarTech.com. It is an EC25950, 2 port 16950 serial card.

Two ports do show up in the selection window. I open one port, the hit file, new to open a second window, then select the second port, that is when I get the access denied message.

I just tried a test with the expresscard & a Keyspan usb adapter, and can get one port open on the expresscard, and the Keyspan port open, no problem.
So I have a workaround, just not what I was hoping for.

If I were to guess, I would say it is some sort of a permission issue, or (cringe) an issue with the driver.

You may remember me from wanting CoolTerm to work at 110baud last summer.

Thank You for a great product!

J. Ray M.
roger
Site Admin

Post by roger »

Hi Ray,

yes, I remember you from last summer. You were working with a CNC controller from the 70s.

The issue you are seeing is most likely an issue with the driver, unfortunately. The API I'm using does a good job of only opening port that the driver lets it open, and throw an error if the attempt fails, rather than causing a crash.