timestamp in terminal

If you have specific questions or problems with any of my Freeware applications, post them here.
mcu8484

timestamp in terminal

Post by mcu8484 »

I am a new user of Coolterm v1.80 on Ubuntu and I am trying to get it to display timestamp for each line received but I frequently get multiple timestamps for portions of a line making it unreadable. Is there some configuration to resolve the problem?

I did notice there is a config setting for timestamp generation after a termination string in the file logging section but it doesn't seem to have any effect for timestamp in terminal display. Any help would be appreciated.
roger
Site Admin

Re: timestamp in terminal

Post by roger »

Hi,

It can sometimes happen that a transmission from a serial device is received as multiple chunks (at separate times). This may depend on the speed of the computer and how busy it is at the time. To reduce the likelyhood of lines getting chopped up, don't use the time stamp format with millisecond resolution as that causes the GUI to refresh at a higher rate. In addition, you can reduce the GUI refresh rate via the Connection settings ("Miscellaneous/Misc. Options"). The default is 100ms. Try larger values, e.g. 200ms, 400ms, etc. This will cause CoolTerm to go and check the receive buffer less often.

I hope this helps.

Roger