CoolTerm xon/xoff problem

If you have specific questions or problems with any of my Freeware applications, post them here.
catkins

CoolTerm xon/xoff problem

Post by catkins »

Hi there,

First, I'd like to say thanks for creating such a great app. I've been using the Mac version for a little while now, and it's great!

I have a slight problem getting xon/xoff to control the rate of transfers to my Arduino when using the "send text file" function. In CoolTerm's connection options menu, I have enabled xon support. My device writes xoff (0x13), when the serial buffer exceeds 50% (and xon once it is drained). CoolTerm correctly displays the state "xoff" in the status bar at the bottom of the window, but file uploads do not stop. As a result my arduino serial buffer is overflowing and my application fails.

Because of the way the serial port on arduino is wired up, I cannot use hardware flow control.Have I understood the xon function correctly, or am I making a mistake with my assumptions?

Many thanks!
roger
Site Admin

Re: CoolTerm xon/xoff problem

Post by roger »

Hi,

Your understanding of how Xon works sounds correct. Xon/Xoff flow control is a feature that is handled by the API and the driver, at a lower level than CoolTerm. If Xon/Xoff flow control is enabled and the targets sends an Xoff character, the serial port should stop sending data immediately. However, this is beyond CoolTerm's control. It is only by chance (i.e. a bug in the FTDI and Prolific drivers) that Xon and Xoff characters "leak" through to CoolTerm's receive buffer, allowing the app to display "xoff" in the status bar. If everything worked correctly, CoolTerm should never receive Xon or Xoff characters if flow control is turned on as it is suppose to be trapped by the driver. If you try the same with a SiLabs device, you won't see the "XON" string change to "XOFF" if xoff is received.That said, I have verified that data transmission is stopped immediately once the serial port receives an Xoff character with all my USB/serial adapters (FTDI, Prolific, SiLabs, Keyspan). Most likely, there is an issue with your device driver. Perhaps Xon/Xoff flow control does not get enabled properly on a lower level while CoolTerm thinks that it is. I would recommend installing the latest driver. Which Arduino model are you using?

Roger
catkins

Post by catkins »

Hi Roger,

Thanks very much for the quick reply! :-)
Most likely, there is an issue with your device driver. Perhaps Xon/Xoff flow control does not get enabled properly on a lower level while CoolTerm thinks that it is. I would recommend installing the latest driver. Which Arduino model are you using?
I am using an Arduino UNO Rev3 board (https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardUno). It uses an ATmega16U2 as a usb/serial port interface, which is supported by the OS COM port driver. I can't update the driver since it's the built in Mac OS COM driver. I'm running Mac OS Sierra 10.12.3. I don't know if there are any alternative third party drivers - I couldn't find any on the web...

I'm not really sure what else to try. Do you know of any OS-level settings/configurations that might affect this device?

Many thanks!
roger
Site Admin

Post by roger »

I'm not aware of any other drivers for the Arduino Uno. Do you have access to an Arduino that uses an FTDI chip instead of the ATMega16U2?
You might also want to try this with a different terminal, just to rule out that there is some weird interaction between the driver and the API CoolTerm is using that causes this problem. Meanwhile, can you send me your sketch, or a test project that demonstrates the issue? I can get my hands on an Arduino Uno R3 to see if I can replicate this. Please send it to my e-mail address (you can find it on my website http://freeware.the-meiers.org/)
catkins

Post by catkins »

I'm not aware of any other drivers for the Arduino Uno. Do you have access to an Arduino that uses an FTDI chip instead of the ATMega16U2?
I have three Arduinos, but I'm afraid they all use the same ATMega chip for comms. :-(
You might also want to try this with a different terminal, just to rule out that there is some weird interaction between the driver and the API CoolTerm is using that causes this problem.
I think I understand the problem a little better now. I tested with other terminal apps on mac (minicom, screen) and I also used stty to set the port parameters directly, while echoing the output using cat. I found that none of these programs responded to xon/xoff settings. After a little digging around on the net I think that the default serial driver when connected to an Arduino does not support xon/xoff. I don't know if this is due to the driver, or due to the ATMega16U2 firmware indicating that the device does not support xon/xoff.

In any case, I think the problem is not with CoolTerm!
Meanwhile, can you send me your sketch, or a test project that demonstrates the issue? I can get my hands on an Arduino Uno R3 to see if I can replicate this. Please send it to my e-mail address (you can find it on my website http://freeware.the-meiers.org/)
I'll send you the sketch in any case, perhaps you might come to a different conclusion!

Many thanks for your support!
roger
Site Admin

Post by roger »

Thanks. I'll try your sketch over the weekend. Meanwhile, there are ways in CoolTerm to throttle the data. You could run the serial port at a lower baudrate, which might be easier for your Arduino code to catch up. Secondly, you can turn on the character delay option which adds a wait time between characters. You can access this feature in the Connection Options under "Transmit". If you have a way to gauge 'fullness' of your receive buffer (you could blink an LED when it reaches a certain level), you can play around with the delay value until you dialed it in so that it never reaches a critical level. This is a type of feed-forward flow control (as opposed to feed-back flow control like Xon/Xoff).
joanlluch

Post by joanlluch »

catkins wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:05 am
I have three Arduinos, but I'm afraid they all use the same ATMega chip for comms. :-(
You might also want to try this with a different terminal, just to rule out that there is some weird interaction between the driver and the API CoolTerm is using that causes this problem.
I think I understand the problem a little better now. I tested with other terminal apps on mac (minicom, screen) and I also used stty to set the port parameters directly, while echoing the output using cat. I found that none of these programs responded to xon/xoff settings. After a little digging around on the net I think that the default serial driver when connected to an Arduino does not support xon/xoff. I don't know if this is due to the driver, or due to the ATMega16U2 firmware indicating that the device does not support xon/xoff.

In any case, I think the problem is not with CoolTerm!
Meanwhile, can you send me your sketch, or a test project that demonstrates the issue? I can get my hands on an Arduino Uno R3 to see if I can replicate this. Please send it to my e-mail address (you can find it on my website http://freeware.the-meiers.org/)
I'll send you the sketch in any case, perhaps you might come to a different conclusion!

Many thanks for your support!
Did you find any solution to this? I am experiencing the same exact issue (xon/xoff completely ignored by terminal apps). Thanks in advance
catkins

Post by catkins »

I’m afraid it was such a long time ago, I can hardly remember. I don’t think I ever got xon/xoff working correctly on the Mac.
roger
Site Admin

Post by roger »

There is a possible workaround in CoolTerm for when XOFF is not being honored by the driver. How many received bytes can your Arduino code handle at once? And how long does it take for your code to handle received data? You can pace the rate of your transmitted data by using some of the delay options in the transmit options. For example, if you Arduino code handles data one byte at a time, you can enable the "Use transmit character delay" option and set the delay value to how ever long the Arduino code takes to process the incoming data. This option waits the specified amount of time between each sent byte. That way, the Arduino would never need to use XOFF to halt the flow of data.

I hope this helps.

Roger
roger
Site Admin

Post by roger »

catkins wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:05 pm I’m afraid it was such a long time ago, I can hardly remember. I don’t think I ever got xon/xoff working correctly on the Mac.
On macOS, I found a peculiarity that you may be able to use at your advantage. When everything is working properly when XON/XOFF flow control is enabled, the terminal should never actually receive the XON or XOFF characters as they are captured by the driver which should then prevent data from being transmitted, even if an app tries to. The transmit data should simply be buffered when XOFF is active until XON is received, at which time all the data in the transmit buffer is being sent. However, I found that macOS passes XON and XOFF characters through with the received data (i.e. you can see these characters in your received data), even if XON/XOFF flow control is enabled. This means that CoolTerm on the macOS can actually detect an XOFF condition based on the received data. To take advantage of that, enable the following options in the Serial port options:
- XON Flow Control
- Software Supported Flow Control
- Block Keystrokes while flow is halted
With these settings, when CoolTerm on macOS receives an XOFF character, it will prevent data from being transmitted, regardless of what the driver might be doing, until XON is received.

I hope this helps.

Roger