CoolTerm-Help

If you have specific questions or problems with any of my Freeware applications, post them here.
tnm

CoolTerm-Help

Post by tnm »

Hello Roger Meier's Forum !
My CoolTerm version is 1.9.1 (Build 964). I work on laptop HP-625 with OS Windows 7.
1) CoolTerm-Help has a recommendation: "Unlock the port if XOFF is active".
How to check if XOFF is active or not ?
2) In “Contents” of CoolTerm-Help does not work the sixth link. Is this an accident or is it intended ? I think many users will agree that in any case it is desirable to fix it.
Good wishes.
roger
Site Admin

Re: CoolTerm-Help

Post by roger »

tnm wrote:Hello Roger Meier's Forum !
My CoolTerm version is 1.9.1 (Build 964). I work on laptop HP-625 with OS Windows 7.
1) CoolTerm-Help has a recommendation: "Unlock the port if XOFF is active".
How to check if XOFF is active or not ?
XOFF can only be active if you turn on XON flow control in the port settings and if the hardware you are communicating with sends an XOFF character (0x13) to stop the data flow. When that happens, the driver will no longer permit sending any data until an XON character (0x11) is received. The only way to tell that the driver is halting the transmission is when you try to send anything (for example by pressing a key) but instead of the TX LED flashing at the bottom of the CoolTerm window, there is a spinning progress wheel next to the RX and TX LEDs. The spinning wheel means that CoolTerm is waiting for data to be sent. And unless an XON character is received, CoolTerm will remain in this state. To get out of this state and unlock the transmission, you can use the "Reset Port" menu item (or you can close and open the serial port).
2) In “Contents” of CoolTerm-Help does not work the sixth link. Is this an accident or is it intended ? I think many users will agree that in any case it is desirable to fix it.
Good wishes.
This is accidental. The good news is that the latest version of CoolTerm (v2.0.0) has a much improved help which also fixes this issue. All the links should work now.

If you haven't already done so, you can download the latest version of CoolTerm here: https://freeware.the-meiers.org/CoolTermWin.zip