Cannot open saved configurations on MacOS

If you have specific questions or problems with any of my Freeware applications, post them here.
videojames

Cannot open saved configurations on MacOS

Post by videojames »

Hello,

Firstly- Thankyou for your excellent serial terminal, I use it nearly every day and having tried every other available terminal (both free and paid) I can confidently say yours is the best for me.

I use the software on multiple systems and have found an issue on MacOS which I cannot solve where I cannot re-open a configuration which I have saved.

I save a config and it seems to save just fine with the .stc file, but when I try to load a config all of the .stc files are grey-ed out in the finder window and not selectable. The finder select window doesn't have any way to specify allowed filetypes and doesn't seem to accept any filetype at all. I have tried saving with different filenames and different locations with no luck.

The "Kind" for any saved configuration in the "Select a file" window is listed as "OpenOffice.org 1.0 Spreadsheet Template".

I wouldn't be surprised if I have managed to break it somehow- and re-installing CoolTerm has not resolved the issue.

Any support would be appreciated- the save config function is very useful.

Device is a M1 MacBook Pro with MacOs Version 14.4.1 (23E224)
I'm using CoolTerm version 2.1.1 (Build 1288)

Thanks very much
videojames

Re: Cannot open saved configurations on MacOS

Post by videojames »

Nevermind.

After looking through your forum more thoroughly I just noticed the following in your release notes for beta:
"Introducing new file extension (.cooltermsettings) for settings file to avoid conflict with the OpenOffice Spreadsheet Template file type. Files with the legacy extension (.stc) will still be compatible. This includes existing default.stc files."

I installed the beta and can confirm this resolved the issue. Thankyou.

Happy to have this post removed, but will leave up incase someone else comes looking until beta release.
roger
Site Admin

Re: Cannot open saved configurations on MacOS

Post by roger »

Hi,

yes, this is something that started happening on macOS in the recent past. I have used the .stc file extension for CoolTerm since it's inception almost 20 years ago, before I even made it public. But since I'm not a registered developer, I never officially registered the file extension.

It's still possible to open settings in current versions of CoolTerm, but unfortunately not via the Open... dialog. If you open a "Get info..." window for a CoolTerm settings file, you can select what app to open it with. You can permanently set it to CoolTerm, and then you can open these files by double-clicking them in the Finder. You can also drag and drop setting file onto the CoolTerm app icon.

And as you noticed already, the next release will introduce a new file extension that, most likely, nobody else will use.

Roger