CoolTerm on Mac

If you have specific questions or problems with any of my Freeware applications, post them here.
agtime22

CoolTerm on Mac

Post by agtime22 »

Roger,
I installed CoolTerm on my Mac; however, I cannot stop it from doing a double carriage return. I've tried disabling local echo and everything else I could think of, but it still does it. Any idea how to turn that off? I'm using a USB to DB-9 adapter made by Tripp-Lite model: USA-19HS.
roger
Site Admin

Re: CoolTerm on Mac

Post by roger »

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "double carriage" return. do you see two carriage returns on received data when you are only expect to see one? What does the received data look like on Hex view mode?
agtime22

Post by agtime22 »

When I hit Enter once, it transmits two. Below is an example in ASCII and Hex view. It looks like it's transmitting twice and receiving it twice.

CM>
CM>
CM>
CM>

0000 0D 43 4D 3E 20 0D 0A 43 4D 3E 20 0D 43 4D 3E 20 .CM> ..CM> .CM>
0010 0D 0A 43 4D 3E 20 ..CM>
roger
Site Admin

Post by roger »

Did you have local echo turned on when you captured this? If not, this is the data your target is sending back.

CoolTerm only sends one "newline" when enter is pressed. You can easily verify what is being sent by unplugging your target from the serial port and turning local echo on. Then, while the serial port is still open, press enter. The hex view will show you what has been transmitted.
What exactly consists of a "newline" can be adjusted via the connection settings. Go to the "Terminal" section of the settings and set the "Enter Key Emulation" in accordance to what your target requires. Some targets want to receive CR+LF, some only CR, or only LF. Check what you need.
If your target remotely echoes what it receives, local echo needs to be off.
Also make sure that "Loop back received data" is NOT enabled.
laneadmin

Post by laneadmin »

I had the same problem when consoling into a Cisco network switch. Pressing enter would return 2 prompts, etc. The solution is to change "Enter Key Emulation" from CR+LF to CR. The default was actually making it hard for me to even log into the switch because the line feed was being taken like an additional CR and causing an authentication error. Once I made the change it was smooth sailing.