coolterm ... improvements

If you have specific questions or problems with any of my Freeware applications, post them here.
efr

coolterm ... improvements

Post by efr »

Hi,
I am using coolterm since a long time, and here are a couple of suggestions

1. Having the possibility to save the windows positions, and their respective settings, in the pref file.
2. I have noticed a small problem. When we receive a lot of data, slowly, coolterm doesn't react anymore correctly. It is necessary to clear the input buffer (clear data) times-to-times to avoid inappropriate reaction (hangs) times.

Best regards
Edo.
roger
Site Admin

Re: coolterm ... improvements

Post by roger »

Thank you for your feedback. I'm not sure when I will have time to work on CoolTerm (perhaps over the holidays), but I will add your suggestions to my list of improvements.

I'm thinking about a feature where the user can set a limit for the buffer size so that he oldest data will automatically be deleted when new data arrives so that the limit will not be exceeded. What is currently happening is that new data will be added to the buffer which, depending on how much RAM your system has, will cause the virtual memory to be used when no more physical RAM is available. This is when it gets really slow.

Remembering window positions and sizes may be tricky since CoolTerm is a multi-document application, I.e. you could have multiple terminal windows and multiple "Send String" windows. If the position of e.g. the terminal window is stored in the preferences, every new terminal window that is opened by the user will end up in the same location. It would be possible, however, to store the location and size of a particular terminal in the settings file. The location and size settings would be applied when the user loads a settings file. That would be useful when you use certain setting files frequently. These are not saved automatically, however. When settings change, the user will have to save the settings manually. The "Send String" windows are a different story. Each terminal window can have multiple of these open. I'm not sure if it is even possible to remember the location of these in a meaningful way.