BatchTouch- Nice work, two minor suggestions

If you have specific questions or problems with any of my Open Source Projects, post them here.
KettleGriller

BatchTouch- Nice work, two minor suggestions

Post by KettleGriller »

Roger,
Thanks for sharing BatchTouch!
It helped me with a task I needed (I'd written a similar app in C back in the DOS days but have long since lost it).

Two *very minor* nits/suggestions should you get back to the code at some point:
1) Startup Window location: Seems to be confused with multiple monitors if the secondary monitor has higher resolution than the primary -- occasionally the case with laptop users, or maybe it's the default install location. As a result the window starts above the visible top of the screen. Easy to fix with Alt-Space-M-Down arrow, but...
2) If a file is in-use the failure to update the stamp is not reported. Although I'm not even sure if that's even possible to know short of confirming after the change.

Thanks again!
roger
Site Admin

Re: BatchTouch- Nice work, two minor suggestions

Post by roger »

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it.
KettleGriller wrote:1) Startup Window location: Seems to be confused with multiple monitors if the secondary monitor has higher resolution than the primary -- occasionally the case with laptop users, or maybe it's the default install location. As a result the window starts above the visible top of the screen. Easy to fix with Alt-Space-M-Down arrow, but...
I'll see if I can get a setup like this for testing. Are you using the Mac or Windows version? BatchTouch remembers the locations of the windows between sessions. When this happens, was the BatchTouch window on the second monitor before you quit and restarted? How are the monitors aligned? Is there a vertical offset (pixel wise) between them?
2) If a file is in-use the failure to update the stamp is not reported. Although I'm not even sure if that's even possible to know short of confirming after the change.
Hmm, I don't think this a case I have previously tested specifically before, thanks for reporting it. BatchTouch handles file errors from the OS, but perhaps if a file is locked, an attempt to change the date doesn't throw a file system error. Mac and Windows handle things differently, I will check this out on both platforms.