The benefits of crash reporting

Not sure where else to go? Then check here! This forum is for general questions and comments about my Freeware.
roger
Site Admin

The benefits of crash reporting

Post by roger »

During the last couple of months I've invested some time in the development of a crash reporting system allowing the user to submit an automatically generated report in the event of a crash. This system has been deployed as part of the latest releases of both CoolTerm and BatchTouch. It has already allowed me to track down 2 bugs in CoolTerm that I would not have been able to fix without the details in these reports. It even led me a to bug in the crash reporting code :-) So far the crash reporting system has been a success and it allowed me to release CoolTerm v1.3.1 which addresses these bugs.

However, virtually no user currently takes advantage of the option to provide additional details or an e-mail address to allow me to recreate the scenario that has led to the crash. There currently is a type of crash in CoolTerm for which, without any additional details, I'm unable to determine a cause. I would like to encourage every user of CoolTerm to at least provide an e-mail address I can use to follow up on the details of the crash if necessary. Your support with this will allow me to provide you with a better version of CoolTerm.

Thanks,

Roger