The latest SpamBot counter measures

Not sure where else to go? Then check here! This forum is for general questions and comments about my Freeware.
roger
Site Admin

The latest SpamBot counter measures

Post by roger »

Unfortunately, somebody has figured out and leaked the answers to the Q&A captcha I have been using on this forum. This site has been spam-free for quite some time since I introduced the new captcha, but for the last three days I have been hammered with over 100 spambot registrations per day!
Fortunately, I have to personally approve each new account, so none of the spambots ever got a chance to post anything. Still, it's very annoying to get over 100 forum e-mails everyday as it hampers my ability to react to the ones that matter, i.e. legitimate users trying to register an account.
I changed the answers to the Q&A captcha questions. New users are now required to spell the answers backwards. I apologize for the hassle, but if I don't do anything, this only gets worse. It's sad that measures like this are even necessary, but it's always the good guys that at the end get to suffer because a few jerks on the internet decide to ruin it for everybody else.