Improvments suggestion for "Send String" in hex mode

If you have specific questions or problems with any of my Freeware applications, post them here.
ilander

Improvments suggestion for "Send String" in hex mode

Post by ilander »

Hi again,

During test TCP in Beta, i've thought about some possible improvments for the "Send String" tool in hex mode.

I think it would be great if hitting "Enter" could send data. At least in hex mode, since "Enter" is obviously not an hex code.
In text mode, it could also mean CR/LF code insertion, so could be an option to choose from here.

Also, i really appreciate that in hex mode, you can enter data rather messingly: with or without space between codes, or with several spaces for example. You can even copy/paste hex data with CR/LF inside (copy from a document for example) without having to reformat before. Only hex codes are sent, and that's great.

But maybe an option for cleaning out and reformat identified hex codes would be great, like it is done if i enter 434343 in hex, and switch back and forth text and hex mode: the display hex string is now a much cleaner 43 43 43. Removing CR/LF could be a switchable option, since it could sometimes be better to keep them to help "format" data blocs and more easily read them.

Last remark, i've just realized a strange thing: if i type 43<space><space>, a period "." is automatically inserted --> "43.". I think it's an automatic ponctuation insertion, like if i was to begin a new sentence, but it should not happen in hex mode.

Thanks again!
roger
Site Admin

Re: Improvments suggestion for "Send String" in hex mode

Post by roger »

Hi,

thanks for your feedback.

Good news! It's already possible to send the data by pressing the Enter or Return key, as long as you hold the Shift key while hitting Enter or Return.

Regarding the issue of inserting an extra period, does this happen in the "Send String" window? I can't seem to reproduce that (at least not on my Mac). What platform are you using? Can you write down the exact sequence of actions/events to reproduce this?

Roger
roger
Site Admin

Post by roger »

ilander wrote:I think it would be great if hitting "Enter" could send data. At least in hex mode, since "Enter" is obviously not an hex code.
In text mode, it could also mean CR/LF code insertion, so could be an option to choose from here.
I forgot to mention that hitting Enter in ASCII mode does in fact insert CR, LF, or CR+LF, depending on what is selected for "Enter Key Emulation" in the settings under "Terminal".
Furthermore, when clicking "Send" or hitting SHIFT+ENTER, you can choose to terminate the string you're sending with your favorite newline character(s) or even a custom character sequence via the "Send String Options" in the settings under "Transmit". This works in both ASCII and Hex mode.
ilander

Post by ilander »

Thank you for you quick and detailled reply. Your support is really great!

Seems i should have "Read The F.... Manual" before asking! i've not seen that Shift+Enter would invoke send button, sorry about that :oops: But that's a great news!

About automatic period insertion, it happens in the "Send string" windows, both in ASCII or HEX modes, and whatever you type. The "trick" is to type any character (except punctuation ones) and then hit the space key twice very quickly. If type spaces too slowly, you will have... well... spaces! This happens only in "Send string" window, not in main window. MacOS 10.15.6.

By the way, nothing to do with CoolTerm, but every time i reply to a topic, i got a "General Error template->_tpl_load_file(): File ./language/en_us/email/prime_notify_topic.txt does not exist or is empty" message. But reply is sent anyway.

Regards,
Gérald
roger
Site Admin

Post by roger »

Hi Gérald.
ilander wrote:About automatic period insertion, it happens in the "Send string" windows, both in ASCII or HEX modes, and whatever you type. The "trick" is to type any character (except punctuation ones) and then hit the space key twice very quickly. If type spaces too slowly, you will have... well... spaces! This happens only in "Send string" window, not in main window. MacOS 10.15.6.
Thanks. I will give this a try on my Mac. Does this happen in other fields (e.g. in the connection settings) that accept text input, or only the Send String window? There is certainly nothing in code that would cause this to happen. (The reason why this doesn't happen in the main window is because CoolTerm catches all the keystrokes, so no text actually is entered into the main window from keystrokes. The only text that ends up there is either received data or local echo).
I know there are some automatic text replacements that can be defined on a system level in macOS (some details here: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-hel ... h35735/mac). I wonder if perhaps there is an automatic replacement that is triggered by double-spaces (although that would that this would happen in other apps as well...)?
By the way, nothing to do with CoolTerm, but every time i reply to a topic, i got a "General Error template->_tpl_load_file(): File ./language/en_us/email/prime_notify_topic.txt does not exist or is empty" message. But reply is sent anyway.
Yep, I'm getting the same thing. I haven't been able to figure out what the problems is yet. It doesn't happen all the time for me, about 50% of the time.
roger
Site Admin

Post by roger »

roger wrote:Hi Gérald.
ilander wrote:About automatic period insertion, it happens in the "Send string" windows, both in ASCII or HEX modes, and whatever you type. The "trick" is to type any character (except punctuation ones) and then hit the space key twice very quickly. If type spaces too slowly, you will have... well... spaces! This happens only in "Send string" window, not in main window. MacOS 10.15.6.
Thanks. I will give this a try on my Mac. Does this happen in other fields (e.g. in the connection settings) that accept text input, or only the Send String window? There is certainly nothing in code that would cause this to happen. (The reason why this doesn't happen in the main window is because CoolTerm catches all the keystrokes, so no text actually is entered into the main window from keystrokes. The only text that ends up there is either received data or local echo).
I know there are some automatic text replacements that can be defined on a system level in macOS (some details here: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-hel ... h35735/mac). I wonder if perhaps there is an automatic replacement that is triggered by double-spaces (although that would that this would happen in other apps as well...)?
So I tried this on my Mac, and nothing happens (other that getting 2 separate spaces) when I double-tap the space bar, no matter how rapidly I hit it. I'm suspecting that there may an automatic text replacement that's been defined in the macOS System Preferences.