Moxa RealCom mode /dev/ttys00x: error code 25 (macOS)

If you have specific questions or problems with any of my Freeware applications, post them here.
ilander

Moxa RealCom mode /dev/ttys00x: error code 25 (macOS)

Post by ilander »

Hi,

I'm trying to use a Moxa NPort 5150A with CoolTerm 1.9.1 on macOS 10.15.6.

I've read on this forum that TCP mode is not possible in Coolterm, but i was hoping to use the RealCom mode. The NPortConnect application allow to connect to a Moxa device, and create a /dev/ttys00x entry (for example /dev/ttys002).

By default Coolterm doesn't display that port, but i've found out, again thanks to this forum, that it is possible to use a port.ini file to add it manually, and i can now see it in available ports.

But whenever i try to connect to it, i have a "A Serial port error occured message" wit "25: Error 25" error.

So i'm stuck here...

Could you please help?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards.
roger
Site Admin

Re: Moxa RealCom mode /dev/ttys00x: error code 25 (macOS)

Post by roger »

Unfortunately, the serial port API CoolTerm uses doesn’t support virtual serial port on macOS at this point. I hope this will become a possibility in the future.

However. the good news is that the next CoolTerm version will support TCP connections!

To get access to the latest beta, please use this link to sign up for the betas mailing list: http://the-meiers.org/mailman/listinfo/ ... meiers.org
ilander

Post by ilander »

Ok, done! Will try the Beta for TCP support.

Thanks a lot for your great work!
ilander

Post by ilander »

Just to let you know: i'm testing Beta 5, and raw TCP connection seems to work pretty fine! :D Many thanks Roger!
roger
Site Admin

Post by roger »

ilander wrote:Just to let you know: i'm testing Beta 5, and raw TCP connection seems to work pretty fine! :D Many thanks Roger!
Glad to hear it!
roger
Site Admin

Post by roger »

ilander wrote:I've read on this forum that TCP mode is not possible in Coolterm, but i was hoping to use the RealCom mode. The NPortConnect application allow to connect to a Moxa device, and create a /dev/ttys00x entry (for example /dev/ttys002).

By default Coolterm doesn't display that port, but i've found out, again thanks to this forum, that it is possible to use a port.ini file to add it manually, and i can now see it in available ports.

But whenever i try to connect to it, i have a "A Serial port error occured message" wit "25: Error 25" error.
Good news! CoolTerm v2.0.1 will be able to support virtual ports such as /dev/ttys002, etc. Error 25 is an ioctl error that occurs when it is attempted to set certain serial port settings (baudrate, etc) that virtual ports may not support. However, I found that ignoring error 25 and opening the port anyways actually works and lets you communicate with the virtual device. You can access the latest beta the same way you did before in case you would like to try this out.

Roger