Copying Text After Pausing Display in CoolTerm

If you have specific questions or problems with any of my Freeware applications, post them here.
GeorgeIoak

Re: Copying Text After Pausing Display in CoolTerm

Post by GeorgeIoak »

Well you found the root cause and unfortunately for me it's not a simple fix that I can point my finger at you. At least if I can train my brain to click on the window first I should be OK but that's an old habit I have as I tend to have a few windows open and sneak over to them to check on things every once in a while.

Not to hijack my own thread but you mention ANSI control sequences, you mean being able to see these properly?

Code: Select all

.[0;32mI (303) cpu_start: Starting scheduler on PRO CPU..[0m
.[0;32mI (0) cpu_start: Starting scheduler on APP CPU..[0m
roger
Site Admin

Post by roger »

GeorgeIoak wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:43 am Not to hijack my own thread but you mention ANSI control sequences, you mean being able to see these properly?

Code: Select all

.[0;32mI (303) cpu_start: Starting scheduler on PRO CPU..[0m
.[0;32mI (0) cpu_start: Starting scheduler on APP CPU..[0m
Yes. The current version (2.1.0) already supports some formatting sequences (e.g. font colors, bold/italic/underline fonts), but due to the limitations of the TextArea Control, those are the only ones I can support. Others that require the cursor position to move to arbitrary places, etc, are currently not possible. Check out the built-in help for more information. There are also some caveats to enabling formatting. The contents of the TextArea get refreshed with the entire contents of the receive buffer to ensure that what is being displayed is always in sync with what has been received. Getting this to work with the limited options provided by the native TextArea control (which is basically a very, very simple text editor), this can get slow with large amounts of data, or when received data updates rapidly. More details on that in the built-in help. There are some workarounds to make it work better. Play around with it and see how you like it. It should work well enough to display debug information.

To summarize, yes, there is support for some ANSI sequences, but it's not as good as I would like it to be. For this to be as good as I want it to be, a new UI control to display text, other than the native TextArea control, would be required. It is only list of features to implement in the future, but it's close to the bottom of that list due to the amount of effort it will take).

Roger
GeorgeIoak

Post by GeorgeIoak »

I missed that setting so I've enabled and the one option to improve performance in Windows and I can see colors for the ESP32 console output!

I start a new post if I have anything else about it.