Odd bug in CoolTem 1.4.0

If you have specific questions or problems with any of my Freeware applications, post them here.
roger
Site Admin

Odd bug in CoolTem 1.4.0

Post by roger »

Dear users,

while the crash log feedback system has helped me identify and fix a number of bugs, there is one that has popped up a handful of times since the introduction of CoolTerm 1.4.0. It seems to occur on both Mac and Windows, and I currently don't have a clue why it is happening.
The crash logs generated by CoolTerm include the status of the port and the connection settings of any open terminal windows. However, the crash logs I have received for this particular bug indicate that there weren't any open terminal windows at the time the Exception occurred. The crash log you would see looks like this:

Code: Select all

Email:  
Comments: 

Date: 2011-09-24 14:59:21 
Exception Type: NilObjectException 
App Name: CoolTerm 
App Version: 1.4.0 (Build 157) 
App Build Date: 2011-09-11 16:54:06 
System ID: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx 

Open Terminals: 
Call Stack: 
Sub winTerm.winTerm.Xmit( winTerm.winTerm, string ) 
Sub winTerm.winTerm.txThread_Run( winTerm.winTerm, TransmitThread ) 
Sub Delegate.IM_Invoke( TransmitThread ) 
Sub AddHandler.Stub.0() 
The call stack tells me that a NilObjectException occurred in the data transmit routine in a terminal window. It also tells me that there weren't any terminal windows at the time of the exception. This is what doesn't make sense. I can only guess that perhaps this occurs when CoolTerm is in the process of opening the terminal window and that for some reason the transmit routine is executed (which it shouldn't be).

It seems to be a rare bug, but if you happen to be a user that experienced this type of crash, I need your help in reproducing it so that I can fix it.