Sending to Remote TCP Port

If you have specific questions or problems with any of my Freeware applications, post them here.

Sending to Remote TCP Port

Postby smartloxs » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:30 am

I want to use Coolterm to communicate to a serial device connected to a remote serial server (MOXA) Is it possible to enter network address and port number ?
Like 192.168.127.254:4001 ?
I am using the MAC version of Coolterm.

Thanks for any help on this.
smartloxs
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:56 am

Re: Sending to Remote TCP Port

Postby roger » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:23 pm

No, CoolTerm can not do this. What you need is a Serial-TCP/IP bridge. I wrote an application several years ago that is exactly that. It's only a development release, but it may do what you need it to do.
I added you to the "Beta Testers" group, i.e. when you log on to the forums, you should have access to the "Beta Testers" topics where you can find information on how to access beta releases of my freeware. The Serial2TCPBridge app can be downloaded from there as well.
User avatar
roger
Site Admin
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:41 am

Re: Sending to Remote TCP Port

Postby dougy » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:30 pm

I too would like to try accessing a serial device over a network. Could you please add me to your beta testers?
thanks
dougy
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: Sending to Remote TCP Port

Postby roger » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:00 pm

dougy wrote:I too would like to try accessing a serial device over a network. Could you please add me to your beta testers?
thanks


Done.
User avatar
roger
Site Admin
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:41 am

Re: Sending to Remote TCP Port

Postby nbd » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:56 pm

roger wrote:No, CoolTerm can not do this. What you need is a Serial-TCP/IP bridge. I wrote an application several years ago that is exactly that. It's only a development release, but it may do what you need it to do.
I added you to the "Beta Testers" group, i.e. when you log on to the forums, you should have access to the "Beta Testers" topics where you can find information on how to access beta releases of my freeware. The Serial2TCPBridge app can be downloaded from there as well.


Hi Roger:

Is your Serial2TCPBridge app still available? I just started using a new instrument that requires connecting to a TCP/IP address rather than a COM port. I'd be interested to see if your app will work; I'd like to request access to download it if it's still available.

Thanks,
Nic
nbd
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:56 pm

Re: Sending to Remote TCP Port

Postby roger » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:30 pm

nbd wrote:
roger wrote:No, CoolTerm can not do this. What you need is a Serial-TCP/IP bridge. I wrote an application several years ago that is exactly that. It's only a development release, but it may do what you need it to do.
I added you to the "Beta Testers" group, i.e. when you log on to the forums, you should have access to the "Beta Testers" topics where you can find information on how to access beta releases of my freeware. The Serial2TCPBridge app can be downloaded from there as well.


Hi Roger:

Is your Serial2TCPBridge app still available? I just started using a new instrument that requires connecting to a TCP/IP address rather than a COM port. I'd be interested to see if your app will work; I'd like to request access to download it if it's still available.

Thanks,
Nic


Hi Nic,

I added you to the beta testers group, and you should now have access to the "Beta Testers" topic.
User avatar
roger
Site Admin
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:41 am

Re: Sending to Remote TCP Port

Postby ornea » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:45 am

Hello Roger. CoolTerm is way cool. It ticks many of my long awaited, sort after features.

If Serial2TCPBridge is still a thing i would like to be added to the group of beta testers.

Some random unsolicited notes/feedback

1. The ability to easily toggle RTS which reboots an esp8266 (as I often work remote from my work bench) is for me a very valuable feature. In the past i have had to recompile/re-upload the code to get it to reboot. CoolTerm even has a keyboard shortcut. Nice

2. Timestamps, so handy for tracking down crashes

3. The built in HTTP server seems so close to providing the functionality of mapping serial port to http port aka Serial2TCPBridge. i.e. it allows you to send and receive terminal text just not in real time. Ever considered just mirroring text to a browser window with websockets or is that way harder than it sounds

Thanks for a great program
ornea
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:28 am

Re: Sending to Remote TCP Port

Postby roger » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:32 pm

Hi,

you sign sign up to the betas list using this link: http://the-meiers.org/mailman/listinfo/ ... meiers.org

You will get the betas URL with login credentials in the registration e-mail.

ornea wrote:3. The built in HTTP server seems so close to providing the functionality of mapping serial port to http port aka Serial2TCPBridge. i.e. it allows you to send and receive terminal text just not in real time. Ever considered just mirroring text to a browser window with websockets or is that way harder than it sounds

Yeah, that is way harder than it sounds :)
The built-in HTTP server is extremely simple (and therefore very limited). All it does is listen to POST requests that contain a terminal ID, an OP code, and an optional argument. There isn't a good way to make this interactive.

Writing a custom Python script would be the better way to go. The CoolTerm module included with the CoolTerm download interfaces with the Remote Control Socket, and you can use it to connect to CoolTerm running on a remote machine and access all of the CoolTerm functions, including toggling RTS, etc. And you can program your script to be as interactive as you like.
User avatar
roger
Site Admin
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:41 am


Return to Support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron